Nov 19, 2010

Warm, Stuffed Peaches & Oatmeal Cookie Peach Cobbler


Okay, so I realize I am one gigantic tease right now, dangling delicious peach recipes in front of you when your grocery stores and farmers markets are most likely fresh out. Sadly, our fuzzy friends have been replaced long ago with pumpkins, pears and gourds and won't be returning for quite some time.


So why? Why am I doing this to you? Because I love you. Because I want you to have these amazing peach recipes. And because I know that these dishes are entirely too delicious to be thrown on the back burner until next summer, where they will inevitably get lost in the shuffle of all the new grilled, frosty and tropical treats I'll be touting.

Just promise me you'll flag...bookmark...print...whatever you have to do to assure these recipes are in your hands when peaches are once again within grasp. Promise me that, and I'll promise you a delicious breakfast and dessert.


In my opinion, these stuffed peaches are one of the few bearable ways to start a morning. Who doesn't love waking up to a house filled with autumn spices and a plate of warm, soft peaches? They're stuffed with toasted almonds, graham cracker crumbs, dried fruit, brown sugar and spices, baked, and topped with warm peach nectar and creamy vanilla yogurt. They're packed with nutrition, delicious, elegant and great for company on a chilly fall morning. (Just not too late…ahem....into fall.) 

The only modification I made was to use different dried fruits. The recipe calls for tropical fruit, but I opted for a mix that included cranberries, strawberries, cherries and blueberries. (Delish!) I'm sure whatever mix you have on hand would work as well, even raisins. 


And the cobbler, now my all time favorite (and I’ve had my fare share of Grandma’s homemade cobblers) is super easy and super cute, served in individual ramekins and dolloped with a delicious oatmeal cookie batter. That's cobbler and cookies...topped with ice cream. Three desserts in my very own personal dish? Which means I don’t have to share a single bite because that’s the whole point of the personal dish? Um, yeah, it's my all-time favorite cobbler.


If you simply cannot wait, I suppose you could use canned peaches for the cobbler, (eek!) although I don’t recommend using canned peaches for anything but food drives. I intend to experiment with other fruits myself. Apple cobbler...berry cobbler...I assume they all could benefit from a chewy, spiced oatmeal cookie crust, don't you?

But for the stuffed peaches, well, I’m sorry, you’ll definitely have to wait a bit to taste this heart-warming breakfast. Like I said…I’m a tease.


But I promise…from here on out, it’s all foods that you can not only look at and read about, but also make. Imagine! Isn't that just...ahem...peachy?



Warmed, Stuffed Peaches
Maureen Callahan, Cooking Light, JULY 2006
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 peach half and 1 tablespoon yogurt)

Note: You can prepare and refrigerate the stuffing before you go to bed, then assemble and bake the peaches in the morning. Enjoy one peach half as a pre or post-workout snack. Or have two stuffed peach halves with an eight-ounce glass of skim milk or one ounce of string cheese for breakfast. The peach halves also are a nice addition to a brunch buffet.

Ingredients:
4  peaches, halved and pitted
1/2  cup  dried tropical mixed fruit (such as Sunkist brand)
(I used a mix of dried strawberries, cranberries, blueberries and cherries)
1/4  cup  slivered almonds, toasted
2  tablespoons  graham cracker crumbs
2  tablespoons  brown sugar
1/4  teaspoon  ground allspice
1  (12-ounce) can peach nectar
1/2  cup  vanilla yogurt, divided

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Scoop out peach pulp to form a 2-inch circle in center of each half. Reserve pulp, and finely chop. Combine pulp, dried fruit, toasted almonds, graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and allspice. Divide the pulp mixture evenly among peach halves. Place stuffed peach halves in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Add nectar to pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until peaches are tender. Drizzle peach halves evenly with liquid from pan. Top evenly with yogurt.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 134 (17% from fat), Fat: 2.5g (sat 0.7g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.5g), Protein: 2.2g, Carbohydrate: 27g, Fiber: 2.1g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Iron: 0.5mg, Sodium: 30mg, Calcium: 39mg.




Oatmeal Cookie Peach Cobbler
Cooking Light, JUNE 2009
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

Note: You can make this in individual ramekins with one dollop of dough on top of each. The baking time remains the same.

Ingredients:

Topping:
1/2  cup  granulated sugar
1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
1/2  cup  butter, softened
2  teaspoons  vanilla extract
1  large egg
4.5  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
1  cup  old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  salt

Filling:
11  cups  sliced peeled peaches (about 5 pounds)
1/3  cup  granulated sugar
2  tablespoons  all-purpose flour
2  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
Cooking spray

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare topping, place first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Weigh or lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1 cup flour, oats, baking powder, and salt; stir with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.

To prepare filling, combine sliced peeled peaches, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and fresh lemon juice in a bowl; toss to coat. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Dollop 12 mounds of chilled dough over peach mixture at even intervals. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 307, Fat: 9.1g (sat 5.1g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.7g)
Protein: 4.5g, Carbohydrate: 54.1g, Fiber: 3.8g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Iron: 1.6mg, Sodium:177mg, Calcium: 43mg.
------------------------------------------------------

20 comments:

LBDDiaries said...

I don't know if you're just evil or just wonderful! I opt wonderful. I live in peach country so I will be saving these recipes for next year - yum yum!! As usual, you do me good! Hey, and you too can have a freezer for just 18 handy dandy little payments - ho ho!!

teresa said...

i do the same thing, i'm still catching up on a lot of my summer posts, better late than never! this looks just lovely, i would have this thing gobbled up in no time!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Um, yes that is kinda mean-ish of you to tease and tempt us with recipes that can't be made for a year! :)
~ingrid

Julia said...

Your a girl after my heart... lol! this looks delicious and I can't wait to try it out! (this spring) :) Thanks for the recipe!
Visiting from SITS!

Jenn Erickson said...

Mmmmm....those recipes sound heavenly. I'm printing them out for peach season for sure! And your spinach & artichoke dip stuffed mushroom recipe just caught my eye. Headin' that way now. Best, Jenn/Rook No. 17

Dinetonite said...

I love peaches!!!!!!!

Tina L. Hook said...

This is a tease! I do love me some peaches, though.

the VA foodie said...

ummmm these look awesome and you are def a tease. I made an awesome apple crisp though to hold me over until next summer (delinquent on the post though). Hope you had a good holiday! Did you make any CL recipes?

● C E L I N A ● said...

you take such pretty pictures all your food looks amazing.

This one I for SURE want to try.

~ the MRS.
http://www.singlegirlinethiopia.com/

Goodnight moon said...

My mouth is seriously watering right now! This looks absolutely deVINE!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!

Coming by from SITS!

Julia said...

I loved that you cooked it in the peach! What did you use for topping. Is that melted whip cream?

Elle said...

I love this blog but am worried. Does anyone know if she's still doing this blog? I noticed she didn't answer the question above and I figured I wanted her to know she is missed :) I do so hope she keeps it up

Kathryn said...

Wow those peaches look Amazing!!

Rachel said...

Everyday Mom - The topping is yogurt.

Elle - I'm here, don't worry! I've been on a long holiday hiatus in Florida. But have no fear - more recipes are coming up soon, so stay tuned!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

I love peaches - these look amazing! I promise to remember these recipes when peaches are back!

Florida Christmas - how fun! Hope you had a nice holiday. I live in Nebraska and enjoyed being in TEXAS for the holiday!

Happy New Year!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com

Elle said...

Yay!!! I am SO glad you are going to do it this year too!
Welcome back!
Elle

House Queen said...

Stopping by from SITS...great blog! Happy Monday!!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

mmmm, looks delish as always. and I love the plates!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Hello Jessica Lynn said...

I love peach cobbler...YUM!!

I am blog hopping today and thought I would stop by your blog.

Please stop by either or both of my blogs and if you aren't already a follower I welcome you to become one:

Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

So stop on over and follow if you aren't doing so already!!

Have a blessed week!! :0)

آدم said...

فضلا على ذلك مكافحة الحشرات بأنواعها باستعمال مبيدات آمنة بلا رائحة تغير دون حصول أي أضرار عليك أو على أسرتك.
افضل شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض _ شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض

شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض _ شركة مكافحة النمل الاسود بالرياض

شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض _ شركة مكافحة البق بالرياض _ شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails