Apr 1, 2010

Ooey, Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies


Oh. My. Brownies. 

I've definitely had my share of chocolate dream bars. Homemade. Boxed. Smothered with frosting. Covered in ice cream. Straight from the oven. Straight from the bowl. But never, ever, have I had anything like this.

You'd think it was the peanut butter. We've all fallen under the spell of chocolate and peanut butter's combined force. But in this recipe, peanut butter can't take all the glory. There's also an entire jar of marshmallow cream in there and lots of sweetened condensed milk. Mix all that together and what you have is the world's best brownie, my friends.

And they're super easy thanks to an evil little Devil's food mix shortcut. *Oh the shame!* I've bashed boxed cake mixes many a time and now I'm eating my words. Delicious, chocolate peanut butter-covered words.

But guess what I do far better than bake? Rationalize. And since I’d still be adding a few things here and there, I released myself from guilt, slapped on an apron and got to work making my dreamy semi-homemade treat.

First, I whipped up the batter, which has a thick, sticky, cookie dough consistency. Then with floured hands, I patted 2/3 of it into a pan and baked it for ten minutes.

While that was baking, I mixed the sweetened condensed milk, marshmallow cream and peanut butter chips together. When the brownies were done, I spread on the marshmallow mix and topped with dollops of the remaining brownie batter.


Back into the oven it went for 20 more minutes. The recipe actually calls for 30, but an incredible amount of online reviewers insisted that 30 minutes would produce brittle brownie bricks. Twenty minutes seemed to be the magic number for everyone else, so I followed suit.



They were right! Twenty minutes later, the marshmallow was perfectly toasted, and I had produced nothing less than perfect, peanut buttery, chocolaty, milky, marshmallowy brownie bliss. 


So, should we top them with frosting? Ha! Serve them with ice cream? Paaalease. Hands down, these are the BEST brownies I've ever eaten. Two ooey-gooey thumbs way up. So they don't need a thing, aside from maybe a cold glass of milk to prevent choking. Trust me, you will definitely be stuffing your face in an unsafe manner.



Ooey-Gooey Chocolate-Peanut Butter Brownies
Cooking Light, September 2000
Yield: 24 brownies (serving size: 1 brownie)

Ingredients:
3/4  cup  fat-free sweetened condensed milk, divided
1/4  cup  butter or stick margarine, melted and cooled
1/4  cup  fat-free milk
1  (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1  large egg white, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1  (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/2  cup  peanut butter morsels

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1/4 cup condensed milk, butter, and next 3 ingredients (butter through egg white) in a bowl (batter will be very stiff). Coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press two-thirds of batter into prepared pan using floured hands; pat evenly (layer will be thin).

Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup condensed milk and marshmallow creme in a bowl; stir in morsels. Spread marshmallow mixture evenly over brownie layer. Carefully drop remaining batter by spoonfuls over marshmallow mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (note: I strongly advise you to only bake them for about 20 minutes to keep them gooey) Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 176 (25% from fat), Fat: 5g (sat 2.1g,mono 1.6g,poly 1.1g), Protein: 2.6g, Carbohydrate: 29.9g, Fiber: 0.8g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Iron: 0.8mg, Sodium: 212mg, Calcium: 30mg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

livinginbetween said...

"Oh My" is right! :) I need these.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh. My. God. Must make these immediately. The hubs is going to LOVE these.

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Kat said...

wow wow wow....im drooling

Lori said...

Oh my- Goo at its finest. There are some seriously yummy flavors going on in here!

becisvintage said...

Thank you. Just thank you!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've made these suckers and you're absolutely right they are darn amazing! And that's coming from someone who doesn't like chocolate. I do though need a humongu glass of icy cold milk when I eat one! :)
~ingrid

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

I haven't made these in forever - thanx for reminding me to make them! They are sooooo good. I remember the first time I made them I couldn't believe they were a lighter recipe!

Tanya

Melissa B. said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure it will satisfy my family's sweet tooths when they break their Lenten fast on Sunday!

teresa said...

absolutely fabulous!! my family would devour these in seconds!

Jessica Radick said...

oh my, these look delish! I always love to try out new recipes.... especially the sweet stuff LOL thanks for sharing!

CreativeMish said...

OH my gosh! These look so good! They would be a huge hit in my family!

Lisa said...

Oh wow...my stomach is growling just looking at those amazing pictures!

Gigi said...

Visiting from SITS...I am also a wannabe cook and cataloging my efforts in a blog as well. I love Cooking Light - will definitely try this recipe :)

Together We Save said...

Oh my goodness!! These look so yummy!!!

Julie said...

Do you not know I'm trying to diet? You're killin me!

Ashley Boyette said...

This recipe looked so good, I had to try it! I just finished making them and they look great, but I haven't gotten to try them yet. I just wanted to say that I love your blog but it would be extra great if you could include high altitude cooking instructions :)

Rachel said...

I hope you like them Ashley!

Aw, man, I wish I knew how to adjust instructions for high altitude. Unfortunately, I'm a beginner in the kitchen and still trying to learn the basics, myself.

But if any of the recipes (I make all Cooking Light recipes) have high altitude directions, I will be sure to include them. (I don't think I've seen them on any recipes so far.)

Unknown said...


Your website is extremely helpful
https://decor-ksa.com
http://caravank.com/us-for-sale/
http://caravank.com/car-caravan/
http://caravank.com/for-sale-in-jeddah/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails