Apr 22, 2010

Butterscotch Blondies


This here is a dessert so rich and sweet, I almost couldn’t eat it.

I said almost.

For years, I’ve had a full-blown crush on Applebee’s maple-walnut blondie, which always came sizzling on a skillet with vanilla ice cream, maple sauce and chopped walnuts. And I'm not talkin' about one of those play-hard-to-get crushes, either.  I worked at Applebee's. And even though none of my guests ever offered me a bite of their dessert (oh, the nerve), I had my fair share of after hour blondies back in the kitchen.

But alas, I've turned in my server's apron and now actually have to dish out cash if I want a taste of their infamous dessert. So, I thought I’d attempt to make my own blondies at home, following Cooking Light’s lightened up, butterscotch-topped recipe.




They were ridiculously easy to make. Just mix, sprinkle and bake. Something even a real blondie could do. Or heck, maybe even a man.




In less than a half an hour, I had a pan of delicious brownie-like bars with a crunchy crust and a sweet, chewy center. They were pretty tasty, but the butterscotch was almost a little too sweet for me. I know... I can't believe I'm even saying that, but it's true.




Of course, I've never been a huge fan of butterscotch to begin with, so I wasn't expecting to drool over these little treats quite like I would if they were slathered in chocolate or peanut butter. The hubby sure seemed to be enjoying them, especially with that mega sweet tooth of his, but I couldn't help but crave the maple-walnut flavors I had years ago.

But. Then.

I had the genius idea to follow Applebee's lead and warm a bar in the microwave for a few seconds, then top with cool vanilla ice cream.

And. Then.

I devoured it like it was slathered in chocolate and peanut butter. And caramel. It was that good. We ate every last blondie this way and I almost shed a tear with the last warm-gooey-creamy-cold bite.

So listen. If you make these, you MUST eat them warmed with ice cream. It is the only way. Because when something's just a little too sweet, the only reasonable thing to do is top it with something else just as sweet. At least in my book.



Butterscotch Blondies
Cooking Light’s “Butterscotch Bars”, January 2000
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 bar)

Ingredients:
1/2  cup  granulated sugar
1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
1/4  cup  butter or stick margarine, softened
2  large egg whites
1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
1 1/4  cups  all-purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
1/4  teaspoon  salt
Cooking spray
1/2  cup  butterscotch morsels

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Beat sugars and butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed just until blended.

Spread batter evenly into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with morsels. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Nutritional Information: Calories:142 (27% from fat), Fat: 4.3g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.2g), Protein:1.6g, Carbohydrate: 24g, Fiber: 0.3g, Cholesterol: 8mg
Iron: 0.6mg, Sodium: 95mg, Calcium: 24mg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29 comments:

Julie said...

Yum, I love that these are lightened up!

3 hungry tummies said...

That blondie is a beauty! I want a serve now!

Unknown said...

You are a genius : ) Wow. The look perfect. I can just imagine the melty brownie with icecream. Pure deliciousness : )

Kat said...

These look so amazing!!

Jessica Radick said...

OH YUMMY! I will be making this for sure! THANKS FOR SHARING!

Mary said...

Well now I know what to have for dessert after I make that lasagna! Yummy!

tasteofbeirut said...

That is a recipe I was desperately looking for years ago when my son would always request a pastry with butterscotch flavor and I was lacking one!
It is never too late and I am keeping it for future usage.

teresa said...

mmmm, i'm in love with those blondies too. these look just as good, i want them!

Katie said...

These sound wonderful, I love anything with butterscotch.

livinginbetween said...

Ice cream changes everything . . . ;)

InspiredDreamer said...

YUM! I would type more, but the drool on my keyboard is making the keys stick.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look delightful. I love butterscotch anything :-) I really love your blog. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Melissa said...

Mmmmm! I want one!

Catwalk Creative Vintage said...

These are incredible. Saving your recipe. My husband will love these! :)

Amy said...

I'm thinking that I just need to start printing your posts and creating a "Me, Myself & Pie" cookbook! :)

Jessica Radick said...

I featured your blog in my latest post, check it out!

http://jeansandatshirtmom.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I am salivating over here! I would almost not be able to eat that either. Wink, wink.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! I hope it's sunny now so you can enjoy your weekend!

Lynn
http://www.middayescapades.com

Shannon said...

Oh my these look delicious!

Charlene Juliani said...

YUMMY! I may have to try these sometime!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Anonymous said...

I just did this. Literally, like 30 minutes ago and had to come on here and say THANK YOU. I didn't have butterscotch morsels and know they would've been even better with them but with chocolate morsels as a stand-in, they were still HEAVENLY. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Rachel said...

Stephanie - so glad you liked them! I bet the chocolate chips made them even better. Next time I may do white chocolate and chopped walnuts. (Just like good 'ol Applebees!)

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Oh my goodness, I could eat that cup of butterscotch chips by itself! These look great!

Lori said...

For some reason blondies are so amazingly addictive to me. Brownies I can walk away from except when a mood strikes me. Something like this is seriously drool worthy. Did you ever try the browned butter ones?

Rachel said...

Did you just say browned butter? Oh my. Now that would be dangerous...I could lose a finger eating something like that.

bobwasahamster said...

The only thing more amazing than these blondies was the redhead that made them. ;)

-Happy Hub

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'll take two...

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner?
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Pamela said...

I love CL and I love, love, LOVE that dessert from Applebees! I would say that warmed with ice cream would absolutely be the way to go with this one!

theUngourmet said...

I love butterscotch and I love blondies. This is a terrific combination of goodness. Yum and double yum!!

Cindy Haskin-Popp said...

All of these look so amazing! I love your blog. I'm definitely going to be a follower!
http://healthandfoodforum.wordpress.com/

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails