Jun 11, 2010

Rosemary Chicken Salad


While some kids grew up fearing dusty, cobweb-laden attics filled with looming shadows and stinky mothballs, the attic that I remember paints quite a different image. Aside from being keeper of the infamous toy trunk, it was a haven for my mother's beautiful, sweet smelling flowers and herbs, delicately hung from the ceiling to dry and preserve.

Thyme, lavender, statice, sweet Annie, sunflowers, rosemary...

All hovering high above our heads, filling that small space with the most wonderful smells. Who wouldn't love spending time in a place like that? (Although, I'm sure the three-dozen Barbies are truly what made me a regular.)

But even now, 14 years after moving out of my childhood home, I’m instantly taken back to my days in LaPorte, Indiana with the simple act of chopping fresh rosemary for this delicious chicken salad.


And what an awesome chicken salad it makes! Flavor-packed smoked almonds, chopped green onion, Dijon mustard and fragrant rosemary compliment each other perfectly, creating a delicate, earthy taste in quite possibly...no, most assuredly...the best sandwich I've ever made.*

*Unless you count that one sandwich with bacon, cheese and uh, fried chicken.


To start, I roasted the skinless, boneless chicken breasts by brushing them with olive oil, sprinkling with S&P, and baking at 350-degrees until done. (30-45 minutes - the perfect amount of time to chop the rest of the ingredients, and heck, even take a nap if so inclined.)


Then everything comes together beautifully with a little light mayo and fat free yogurt. Yogurt? Yep, surprised me, too, but wonderfully so. A little lettuce and fresh rosemary sourdough bakery bread and I was in business.


What a great sandwich. So thick and creamy, and bursting with flavor. I'm sure you could add all kinds of things to suit your taste buds, too. Next time I may try sliced grapes or small chunks of peeled apple.

The husband agreed with the awesomeness of this meal. He said it tasted like something you'd find at some fancy bakery. (Or, thankfully, in your very own kitchen.)


And so with every bite, every creamy, rosemary-infused bite, I was brought back to a simpler place and time. A place full of cascading flowers and herbs. And a time where the only thing on the agenda was making sure Barbie's golden hair was braided just right before Ken picked her up for the ball.



Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Brandy Long, Cooking Light, April 2005
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)

Ingredients:
3  cups  chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound)
1/3  cup  chopped green onions
1/4  cup  chopped smoked almonds
1/4  cup  plain fat-free yogurt
1/4  cup  light mayonnaise
1  teaspoon  chopped fresh rosemary
1  teaspoon  Dijon mustard
1/8  teaspoon  salt
1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
10  slices whole-grain bread

Preparation:
Combine first 9 ingredients, stirring well. Spread about 2/3 cup of chicken mixture over each of 5 bread slices, and top with remaining bread slices. Cut sandwiches diagonally in half.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 360 (29% from fat), Fat: 11.6g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.5g,poly 1.8g), Protein: 33.6g, Carbohydrate: 29.9g, Fiber: 4.4g, Cholesterol: 76mg, Iron: 2.9mg, Sodium: 529mg, Calcium: 104mg.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

LisaDay said...

OK, I am not going to lie. That looks absolutely delicious.

LisaDay

Lisa Anne said...

That looks so good!! I love rosemary, it not only smells great it taste great too!! YUM!!

M @ Betty Crapper said...

Looks much, much better than your average chicken salad. I love that it has almonds.

julie said...

Now THAT's a chicken salad. I will definitely be trying this one out. It puts mine to shame!

Kathryn said...

looks so yummy!!

the VA foodie said...

ooh this looks tasty! I'm so excited for you to do the coconut shrimp with fiery mango sauce. It was one of those recipes I've been wanting to make ever since I saw it in my magazine.

Mhel said...

yum! I love the contrasting crunchy texture of almonds. Whenever I make mayo based sandwich I always add something crispy or crunchy like potato sticks or chips. Love this recipe!

Pam said...

That is one great looking sandwich and I wish I had it for lunch right now. Yum!!!

M @ Betty Crapper said...

p.s. I've given you an award. Come and get it:
http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger.html

Lizzie said...

Stopped by from SITS to say hi. Wow, what a beautiful post, childhood's poignant memories brought forth by scent and a great recipe too. I loved it! We had a an awesome childhood attic too.

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This looks positively delicious. What yumminess!

Kitty Deschanel said...

Mmm, that looks SO GOOD! Seriously, how far away are you from Albuquerque and how much would you charge to make me this sandwich? ;)

Kitty Deschanel said...

I just became a follower. All your photos look so yummy! Right now, you're on the same level as Smitten Kitchen to me (and I completely love Smitten Kitchen!)

Tina L. Hook said...

You can't go wrong with Chicken Salad. Looks delish. PS I made your recipe for steak with Tarragon Sauce for my mother and father in law and they loved it.

Ronnica said...

I'm not usually a chicken salad person, but that looks good!

Amy said...

I just bounced here from SITS and I am realizing that it is not a good idea to browse through your blog on an empty stomach. Now I am STARVING and nothing in my house will taste as good as these pictures look!! :)

I Wonder Wye said...

I will be right over for lunch! Saw your blog name at a fellow SITS site and loved it == i love to cook, so will follow you for more recipes to try. Thanks!

~Lisa said...

I just made the Rosemary Chicken Salad tonight and thought it was very light, tasty, and so easy to make!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails