Sep 17, 2010

Hot Crab Dip


If my husband ever had a reason to be jealous, it wouldn't be because of another man. But dip, now there's something to worry about. See, at some point in my life, I gave my heart to hummus, spinach artichoke dip, and anything else that plays well with pita. And now, nothing can be done to stop this love affair.

There’s just something so irresistible about the combination of crunchy, salty chips and creamy dip. One bite throws me into a trance, with glazed over eyes and zombie-like arm-to-mouth movements that do not...will not...subside until every last bit is gobbled up, scraped and licked clean. That's when I look up from my empty plate and realize that the last fifteen minutes of meaningful conversation with my husband had been one-sided. On his side. And jealousy ensues, without a doubt.
 

One of the most addictive dips I've ever had, fittingly called "crack dip," is sadly something I just have to restrict from my kitchen because the recipe comes with a death sentence. Cream cheese, ranch dressing, blue cheese, hot sauce, canned chicken and cheddar. Yes, that is the recipe. Not a list of every condiment in my fridge.

But I've been craving it. A lot. So I riffled through recipes and finally turned to this hot, cheesy crab dip instead. With a few lightened ingredients, but plenty of zesty, creamy goodness, it seemed to fit the bill without the added ridiculousness.


It really did hit the spot. Creamy, cheesy, crabby. Perfect with melba toast. And a little extra hot sauce adds just the right amount of kick. In fact, I’m sure I could sit for hours, a bowl of this dip in my lap, armed with only a bag of melba toasts and a remote control and be quite happy with life. Just don't tell the hubby. He's already begun to give our jar of salsa the evil eye.


Hot Crab dip
Laura Martin, Cooking Light, November 2006
Yield: 20 servings (serving size: about 3 tablespoons)

Ingredients:
1  cup  fat-free cottage cheese
1/2  teaspoon  grated lemon rind
2  tablespoons  lemon juice
1  tablespoon  Dijon mustard
1 1/2  teaspoons  Worcestershire sauce
1  teaspoon  hot sauce (or more if you like more zest.)
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
1  garlic clove, minced
1  (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
2  tablespoons  chopped green onion
1  pound  lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
Cooking spray
2  tablespoons  grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/4  cup  dry breadcrumbs

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.

Combine cottage cheese mixture, cream cheese, and onion in a large bowl; gently fold in crab.

Place crab mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve warm with melba toast or pita chips.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 63 (53% from fat), Fat: 3.1g (sat 1.8g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.0g), Protein: 6.8g, Carbohydrate: 1.9g, Fiber: 0.1g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Iron: 0.3mg, Sodium: 264mg, Calcium: 29mg.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

OH how I love the crab dip...I mean really, I love it...LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'll be making this Sunday for football, and eating the entire dish myself. Uh, yeah, I said it.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

LBDDiaries said...

OH how I love this posting and I think this dip is going to be a huge no-no in my life but, but... I have to try it at least once. Great excuse - Alpha Son's wedding reception is here next Saturday - he loves crab - I must make this... for him, really - for HIM! Not me!

Christina said...

I am a dip addict too. I have had the crack dip you speak of and also have another crack dip that I can't resist: cream cheese, ro-tel, sausage, cilantro. Yummy!

I love crab dip and will have to try this one out since it is low calorie!

Melissa said...

LOL I am the same way with dip. I can be perfectly happy with just dip, crunchy pita chips, and baby carrots. That's what I call a perfect afternoon! :)

I will have to go easy with the recipe, as it has cream cheese. And even though it's a healthier cream cheese, I'm afraid that I'd eat the whole thing myself, which would be bad lol.

Tina L. Hook said...

Really, what is not to love about cream cheese? It makes everything better.

Joanna said...

I am very anti-seafood, but this dip actually looks... good. I might have to try this one!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails