May 25, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup


You say potato... I say creamy potato soup loaded with bacon, cheddar and green onion.

After the bacon & chipotle twice-baked potatoes left me with a tempting surplus of cheddar, bacon and russets, I decided to make this awesome soup in order to prevent a three-hour bacon-to-face-stuffing session.

And what a treat it was. This meal was simple, quick and quite dreamy. "But, can a soup really be dreamy?" you ask. I'll answer that with another question. Is it loaded with cheese and bacon?


To make this can't-believe-it's-light creation, I baked, peeled and mashed a few potatoes, and started the thick, creamy base with flour and milk.


Next, I added the potatoes, cheese and a little salt and pepper and let that cook, then mixed in a bit of sour cream and chopped green onion. And whaddya know, I had soup! 


But of course, it's not dreamy soup until you top it with the real stars of the dish – chopped green onion, sharp cheddar, a little cracked black pepper and of course, the aforementioned BACON.


The soup was absolutely delish. Ultra creamy, rich and definitely better than potato soup I've had at any restaurant. And the best part? Getting to eat a cheese and bacon-filled dinner while only putting back a mere 329 calories. Miracles in the kitchen do happen, friends.


And what about my Polish, potato-raised, soup-loving husband? Well, he remained speechless, head hovering over his bowl, with no time to spare on chatter. Even his spoon was abandoned in the end and replaced with bare hands in a last-ditch effort to let no drop escape.

A light soup that makes a man melt? Yeah...definitely dreamy if you ask me.


Baked Potato Soup
Ann Taylor Pittman, Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2007
Yield: 8 servings 
(serving size: about 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon)

Ingredients:
4  baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2/3  cup  all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
6  cups  2% reduced-fat milk
1  cup  (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1  teaspoon  salt
1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
1  cup  reduced-fat sour cream
3/4  cup  chopped green onions, divided
6  bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Cracked black pepper (optional)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400°.

Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 329 (30% from fat), Fat:10.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.7g), Protein: 13.6g, Carbohydrate: 44.5g, Fiber: 2.8g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Iron:1.1mg, Sodium: 587mg, Calcium: 407mg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I try to make potato soup, I burn it to the pot, haha. It's painful.

Pam said...

This looks sooo delicious! I love, love potatoes! I have never liked potato soup though but, hubby loves it. Mom was an excellent cook but I could never get down her potato soup and have tried no other but, this recipe I could try and will. It's all because of the bacon, cheese and green onions with the sour cream and lots of cracked black pepper. Are the potatoes a little lumpy or really smooth? Thanks for the great recipe! Bookmarked and will give it a try!

Kat said...

this looks great!! i am such s soup person but have never tried potato...i'd have to take out the bacon but this looks perfect!!

M @ Betty Crapper said...

I love, love, love how your version is only 329 calories and tastes better than any restaurant version you've had. That same meal at a restaurant would probably have 1000 calories and excessive amounts of sodium. If that's not an incentive to cook more at home I don't know what is.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yeah, that doesn't look light!
~ingrid

julie said...

Oh YUM. I definitely love a good hot bowl of loaded baked potato soup. This looks awesome!

teresa said...

you know, my hubs doesn't like soup, but i have a feeling he would LOVE this, as would the rest of us. mmmmmm

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

Oh MY!!!! I am such a potato junky and this is going in my recipe box!!!
Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Julie said...

I love all these light recipes you keep dishing out (haha..a pun!) Definitely bookmarking this one.

Amy said...

I LOVE potato soup, so this recipe is perfect.

Amy said...

Also, thanks for commenting over on my blog. So sweet that you got married in the same church as your parents! I love sentimental things like that.

Mhel said...

You have the same thing on my mind. When I see potato, i think of things - onions, bacon, sour cream, and cheddar!! Looks very filling!! I am saving this recipe.... Stopping by from SITS!!

Mhel said...

and yeah by the way, i love your recipes. and ive always been here.... so, following you now!!

Anonymous said...

that looks AWESOME!!
anne
www.anniebakes.net

Lisa Anne said...

OMG i thought the cake looked delic, this one actually takes the cake. I love me some soup and it's pouring rain today!

Leigh said...

never made a potato soup, but i may give this one a try. Love the idea of the additions on top.

Lori said...

I have something similar to this on the docket for this week. This looks so delicious. Toppings and stir ins always REALLY make the soup.

Emily said...

This looks so good! I may have to try this soon!

Ronnica said...

This is one of the few kinds of soup that I really like...I'm going to have to try this. Bookmarking it!

Tina L. Hook said...

There are few things that make me happier than potatoes. I may have to make this one.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh yum yum yum. I'm hungry now reading this and it's exactly what I want! I was so happy to "see" you today. I've missed you, girl!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails