Feb 28, 2010

Breakfast Coffee Cake


I hate mornings. Seriously hate. There's nothing worse than being forced out of a warm cocoon of happy dreams and soft sheets by a blaring alarm clock. And for what? Cold floors and morning breath? I'd rather stay in bed.

But alas, I am a girl. And if I'm going to step out into the world, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Shave. Curl. Polish. Pluck. Tuck. Conceal. Spray. Spritz. Straighten. Fasten. Secure. Oh yeah, and then there's the whole war over what to wear. And after all of that, I'm supposed to have time to whip up an omelet and sit down and eat it? Ha.

On those rare mornings when I actually do manage to get food in my belly, it's something I can eat in the car, like a dry waffle or toast. Or, if we've recently gotten groceries, you may even find a collection of yogurt-covered spoons in the glove compartment or a banana peel in the cup holder.

I know what you're thinking. "Just get up earlier, lazy butt." I've tried that. But when I know that I have a few extra minutes, I waste them perfecting my eyeliner and straightening every last hair and before I know it, I'm once again starting the day off starving. And exhausted.

But friends, I've found a delicious solution. One that allows me to continue to sleep until the last possible second and still start the day with something special. With this recipe, breakfast is no longer an afterthought.

After making the ever-so-delectable banana coffee cake with macadamia nuts and coconut, I was intrigued to make another breakfast confection. And this time, I found one that's easier, cheaper, quicker, and tastier. Yes, tastier!

There's really nothing to it. I simply mixed up a quick cake batter and a Grape Nut-cinnamon-brown sugar-espresso swirl, layered them and baked.
 

 

  

  

  

  

When it cooled, I iced this puppy with a coffee-flavored glaze. It's very mild on the coffee flavor, though, so you don't have to be an addict to enjoy it.

  

  
 

And there you have it.  A soft, gooey slice of coffee cake dripping with icing and swirled with cinnamony-sweet goodness. Way better than those $10 rips offs from bakery and much tastier than a Tupperware bowl of milk-less cheerios or a cold Pop Tart. 

I suggest you pair it with an ice cold glass of milk and a warm car seat. Trust me, it's so good, it'll make even a Monday amazing. Or at least help it start out that way.

  


Breakfast Coffee Cake
Cooking Light, August 2006
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 piece)

Ingredients:

Swirl:
1 1/2  cups  granulated sugar, divided
1/2  cup  nutlike cereal nuggets (such as Grape-Nuts)
2  teaspoons  instant espresso granules
1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon

Cake:
1 3/4  cups  all-purpose flour (about 7 3/4 ounces)
1  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1  cup  vanilla fat-free yogurt (about 8 ounces)
1/2  cup  butter, softened
1/2  cup  egg substitute
Cooking spray

Icing:
1 1/2  cups  powdered sugar, sifted
2  tablespoons  cooled brewed coffee

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cereal, espresso granules, and cinnamon in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining 1 cup granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add yogurt, butter, and egg substitute; beat with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute or until combined. Spread half of batter into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cereal mixture; top with remaining half of batter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool in pan.

Combine powdered sugar and coffee in a small bowl; spread glaze evenly over top of cake. Cut into 12 pieces.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 321 (22% from fat), Fat: 7.9g (sat 4.9g,mono 2g,poly 0.4g), Protein: 4.6g, Carbohydrate: 59.4g, Fiber: 1g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Iron: 2.5mg, Sodium: 342mg, Calcium: 61mg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks FANTASTIC!.....

Kelly Jo @Typing One Handed said...

Yum. I know we've never met, so this might be kind of awkward, but would you consider moving in with me? I want breakfast. ;)
Stopping by from SITS (And ready to go eat now!)

teresa said...

oh my gosh i love this! especially the grapenuts in the center. i'm not a morning person either, but with a cake like this, i could learn to be!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

dear god I would never think to do something so sinful with grape nuts...BRILLIANT!!!! Can't wait to give it a go.

Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Katy ~ said...

Yummm...I have some grape nuts that need some lovin' This looks amazin' Thank you for sharing this terrific breakfast treat.

Carrie said...

I remember those days racing to work with waffles in one hand and a steering wheel in the other. :)
Now, I am making breakfast for my little princess and then me.
This cake looks so yummy. I am withdrawing from sugar right now.

Rachel said...

yes, I am now a believer that this really is the only way to eat grape nuts!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

If I made something like that for weekday breakfasts for the kids and myself I'd be a hero! It really does sound and look terrific!~ingrid

Jen @ ourfinehouse said...

Wow! This made my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing...I can't wait to try and make the chicken. Natty

Unknown said...

This is my kind of breakfast!

Stopping by from SITS to say happy Saturday Sharefest

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight and saw your blog in the CL comments section. This is a good cake! I cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup, used partly whole wheat flour, and skipped the icing. So good! What did you think of the mixing method? I wound up creaming the butter & sugar together first.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails